The spellings below were given out on Friday 11th October and the spelling test will be on Wednesday 16th October. Your child will be told which spellings they are learning for the week as there are 2 sets of spellings.
If your child did the long 'er' sound spelt 'ear' e.g. earth, early then their spellings of the test on 16th October are homophones:
If your child had the spellings with the 'j' sound spelt 'dge' or 'ge' e.g. badge, edge then their spellings for the test on 16th October are words with the 'j' sound spelt 'g' before e, i and y and the 'j' sound spelt 'j' before a, o and u:
It is really important your child practises their weekly spellings as much as possible at home. Please use the ideas below to support your child.
- Play spelling tennis with a family member or friend (take it in turns to say a letter back and forth).
- Write a short story using your spellings.
- Write your spellings in order of the least letters to the most.
- Play hangman using your spellings with a family member or friend.
- Make a poster of your spellings and leave it somewhere you will see it every day.
- Write your spellings in different types of sentences (questions, commands and exclamations).
- Use a dictionary to find the meaning of your spellings and write them down.
- Play anagrams with a family member or friend (jumble up the letters and guess the word).
- Ask a family member or friend to test you on your spellings.
- Write your spelling in different styles and colours (bubble writing, swirly letters, etc).
- Write your spellings in alphabetical order.
- Write your spelling in silly sentences. CHALLENGE – can you get all words into one sentences?
- Type your spellings onto a computer, ipad or phone.
- Use spelling games or apps.